Student outreach with Personality | Personalized Postcards

We are beginning week 5 of our school closure due to COVID-19. Each Monday I send an email update to all of my students (and their parents). The weekly update is posted to my website, I send a copy via Remind and I post a link to it in our private Class of 2020 FaceBook group. Last week we also started mailing info home, so students will also get a paper copy in the mail--trying to ensure we reach every student.

Last week I created a beautiful newsletter with Canva, and this week I was inspired by a fellow educator who shared her postcard design here. After seeing her design I was super excited to create my own personalized postcard. Check out a copy of my design here! I am hoping this creative outreach reminds them of my personality and our connection and makes them laugh. I miss them more than I can express.

My Process

  • Created Bitmoji avatars and emailed the images that I wanted to use in my design to myself
  • Copied this postcard design and made a few tweaks to make it my own! *Copying the design is very important to preserve it for others.
  • Downloaded my Bitmoji avatars to my computer and then uploaded them to Canva and placed them into my design.
  • Finalized my design and ordered the postcards through Canva
I placed the order for my postcards through Canva this time so I should get them in the mail at the end of this week. I will hand write each students name on the line and place an address label on them to mail them. I left a little white space to allow me to write a short personal message if I need to.

Please share how you are infusing your personality into your outreach during this unique time.

Comments

  1. I have been emailing students and letting them know what I am up to during COVID. My hobbies and life. I also am sharing comics and humor to add something positive. I am curious - do all the counselors at your school send postcards? There can be push back if one counselor does something and the others do not at some schools. Thanks for the insight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! Thanks for sharing! Our department is split by classes, so I am the senior counselor. Right now we are each doing our own thing each week to maintain contact with our students. 9-11 students are getting packets and weekly phone calls from the district, but seniors are not, so I decided to get creative, personal and cost-effective with outreach. Sending postcards is cheaper than printing a note, stuffing an envelope and mailing it home. This method also gave me the opportunity to add some personality to the outreach and remind our seniors that we are still here for them even if they are not getting a weekly phone call and a packet. I don't think outreach at this time can be a "one size fits all" approach, we all have to cheer each other on and do what we can to meet the needs of our students within our comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts