Preventing Summer Melt with your Seniors

Over the last few years I've heard a lot about preventing summer melt; the topic even came up at the San Diego White House Convening & an articles have been published by ASCA on the topic.

So, in light of all of the press the topic is getting I decided to really make it a priority to do what I can for my seniors over the last few years to make sure they take that next step towards their futures.

Tip #1: work to make sure that students are intrinsically motivated to go to college to reduce the percentage of summer melt cases.

Tip #2: At the end of the year survey and asked them questions to help improve the program, but I also request contact information so you can get a hold of them.

Tip #3: use the Remind app, with the new Chat tool the possibilities are endless.

Tip #4: Follow up with them all before they leave & continue to communicate. I also use good ole fashion email to correspond with my seniors.

Tip #5: Communicate with the other side. I also got in the habit of sending an email to our local community college to get a list of students who committed on College Signing Day, but didn't get registered for classes. I would make contact with each of those students by phone to remind them to get registered.

I also use the online portals and admissions contacts for schools to identify others who I need to reach out to.

Tip #6: Use Up Next, a mobile system that helps young people step by step to navigate key activities to becoming a successful adult – such as applying and paying for college. When you register for Up Next, you will get simple text message reminders to help you stay on track, like registering for the SAT/ACT, filling out the FAFSA, etc. Learn more via https://civicnation.org/campaigns/up-next/

Preventing Summer melt is a huge task for me during my last couple of days in the office, but I always know the payoff will be greater when I see our post-secondary enrollment percentage for each class.

How do you prevent summer melt? Please share your tips below in the comments.



Comments

Popular Posts