Growth Mindset, Grit & Goal Setting Lesson Plan


Each student wrote down one thing they learned from the lesson that they can use to foster a growth mindset.







This year I did my first lesson a little different than in the past. I decided to lead with the concepts of growth mindset, grit & goal setting--these go along with my theme for the year, "Get your Mind Right," and align with my program goals.

I wrote a little about this idea earlier in the summer here.

I aligned the lesson plan with the new ASCA Mindsets & Behaviors for Student Success and Common Core. I taught the lesson to every student through their English classes. I also put a link to the Prezi on my program website so students who were absent would be able to watch it, the voice overs help to keep my auditory learners engaged. Thankfully I only had about 8 students absent throughout the 2 weeks I delivered the lesson.

I had each student take "Short Grit Scale" which I will grade and give back to them all next week in their Advisory Homerooms. They will take the assessment again at the end of the semester, after they set their own SMART goals, then again at the end of the year. We are working towards improving their over all grit score by individual and by grade; we expect every student to have a grit scale score of 3 or above.

Students who struggle with writing SMART goals, or have a low beginning grit scale score will be placed into my Vision Board small group during RTI time.  Read more about this idea here.

Here is a link to the Prezi, my lesson plan, and the materials for the lesson.

Best wishes as you kick off your school year!





Comments

Popular Posts