In keeping with the rules (shared at the end of my post) here are my answers to your questions:
1.What are your favorite blogs?
2.Why did you start blogging?
I started blogging as a result of finding the School Counselor Blog, who doesn't say that? I created School Counselor Space to share my professional journey, connect with other school counselors, learn from my less successful school counseling endeavors, promote professional growth & inspire greatness for myself & others.
3.Why did you become a school counselor?
I started my career journey as a Paralegal and after a couple of years of consoling people that had been wronged and countless boxes of tissue later, I realized that this was my true calling. Interestingly, in looking back at a Strong Interest Inventory I took my last year of college, school counseling was a listed career possibility.
4.What are five resources a new school counselor should have (can be any level)?
- A strong assistant/secretary
- Organizational skills that are always a work in progress
- Flexibility and hunger for knowledge & personal growth
5. What is the best part of your job?
Opening students minds up to possibilities they didn't know existed and helping them plan for and create a satisfying and productive reality for life after high school. One of my seniors this year will be a first generation college student. He has a clear vision and a plan to see it through. I am so proud of him & his courage to step outside of his comfort zone, even when it meant ruffling some feathers at home. I look forward to hearing about his continued success in college & life.
6. What is your #1 go to resource? Twitter, of course. :)
7. What is your guilty pleasure television show? Real Housewives-all of them.
8. What is your favorite part of the school day?
Homeroom-you never know who will walk through the door and every other day I have the time to run groups in conjunction with our RTI program.
9. What book are you currently reading? I don't think we have enough time or room, but here is a snapshot:
10.How do you use technology in school counseling?
I'd be lost without it. IPad for meetings, college applications, portfolio checks etc., Twitter for my counseling department, Sign up Genius for students to sign up for meetings and group sessions, GoogleDocs & Google Forms to collect & share data. I also Smore to make web based flyers & Prezi to make web based presentations. Read about how I use all of this technology here on my blog: Prezi post, SMORE post, Examples of my use of GoogleDocs post.
11.Who inspired you to become a school counselor?
All of the counselors I was exposed to that just didn't seem to give it their all; I knew the future of America deserved better. I have a real passion for school counseling and always strive to find better ways to meet my student's needs & grow professionally.
My nominations for the Liebster Award are:
1. Link back to the blog that nominated you.
2. Nominate 5-11 blogs with fewer than 200 followers.
3. Answer the questions posted for you by your nominator.
4. Create 11 questions for your nominees.
5. Contact your nominees and let them know you nominated them.
Here are your questions nominees:
- What are your favorite blogs?
- Why did you start blogging?
- Share 3 things about yourself that most of your followers wouldn't know.
- What is your favorite thing about your job?
- What would you be doing if you weren't in the School Counseling field?
- What do you do for self care?
- What are your top 5 tech tools?
- What books are you currently reading?
- What's your guilty pleasure TVshow?
- What is your favorite quote?
- If you could live any where in the world where would it be?