What Victory for humanity are you Striving for?

As I reflect on my life and my career journey, one moment, repeated over and over again, sticks out to me.

Each day that I had class on the far end of the SIUC campus, I would walk through the Education building and see this quote by Horace Mann engraved on the wall, "Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity."

Each time I saw it I would reflect on what it meant.

Most people who know me well, know that I am a goal setter. I thrive on setting and working towards accomplishing goals.

This quote is always ingrained in the fabric of every goal I set because I firmly believe we have to do something for others to truly preserve our legacy as human beings and improve our species for the sake of those that come after us.

Being a school counselor aligns with this moral obligation, and in hindsight, maybe that quote led me to where I am today in terms of a career and current job.

Every once in a while I feel like I have chipped a little piece away as I work towards winning a victory for humanity. I recently learned that another colleague of mine decided to go back to college to pursue a degree in school counseling as a result of our interactions, she is the third person, that I know of, that I have influenced in this way in 6 years.

I know they will all do justice for our career and for those they serve.

My work is not done, but this small victory makes me proud.

What quotes inspire you? What victories have you won for humanity? Please share your thoughts and stories to inspire others as we push through the end of another productive semester as school counselors.

Comments

Popular Posts