The Academic Reset Workshop: Turning a D or F Into a Plan for Progress (A Tier 2 Intervention)

This summer I bought this book and started flipping through it right away. By page 220, I knew it was worth every penny. 

This year, I wanted to streamline my Tier 2 interventions, especially for my freshman weekly grade check-ins. The Workshop outlined in the book inspired me to create exactly what I needed.

At my school, we "Flex" Tuesday-Thursday for 30 minutes to provide students with intervention time for core classes; this is also when I run my small groups. Students who don't need intervention can choose activities like gym games, library, Harry Potter Trivia, etc.

I am so excited to share what I have developed with all of you!!

Sometimes students don't need another chat. They need an Academic Reset.

As school counselors, we have all had the conversation.

"Let's check your grades."

"Let's figure out your missing assignments."

"You need to talk to the teacher."

"You need to get your missing work turned in by the end of the week."

And sometimes, after having that conversation more than once, we realize the student already knows they're failing, but they don't know what to do next.

That was the inspiration (along with the book) for my new Academic Reset Workshop, a brief Tier 2 intervention for students failing two or more core classes.

This is a 2-session intervention (not a small group) that I recommend implementing over a month, so students attend the first session and then don't return for the second session for at least 2 weeks to allow time to implement their plan.

The second session gives the school counselor an opportunity to conference individually with students about their progress and next steps. Students identify one action they will continue, one new action they will take, and something they can celebrate about their progress. This also gives the school counselor info for a positive postcard like the one I shared here.

What I Like About the Academic Reset

I like this intervention because it is short, targeted, and practical.

It doesn't require an elaborate program. It quickly teaches students skills related to goal setting, self-management, perseverance, and accessing support. It also includes a parent/guardian communication component that students create during the session.

Academic Reset Workshop Materials (free access)

Have thoughts about this intervention? Share them below to help me improve it.

If you plan to use the intervention, please leave a comment below; I'd love to see how far its impact can reach.




Comments