- Career Cluster Interest Survey
- Career Clusters QuickList
- 16 Career Clusters and their Career Pathways w/ access to Sample Plan of Study
- Career Conversation Starters
- ASCA U Career Development Specialist (This is an awesome PD Resource)
How I use it the Career Cluster Interest Survey
- Audience: Incoming Freshman (8th graders)
- Method: This could vary depending on how you access your 8th graders. The goal is to have them take the assessment, self score it and record their top 3 Career Clusters of Interest for you to use as you help them devise a freshman year schedule. This early attention to tying courses to career clusters of interest does not lock them into a career, so it is a little less overwhelming. It simply opens up opportunities for career conversations.
- Idea #1: Correspond with 8th grade English Teachers, ask them to assign the survey for homework and return the results to you to compile.
- Idea #2: Correspond with 8th grade English Teachers, ask them to assign the survey for homework. Visit the classroom to review the results with students and do a short lesson on career clusters/education planning and how this all aligns with community service opportunities, extra-curriculars and P/S career goals-- and of course how they can use their top cluster to help them select courses for freshman year. Draft a 4-year plan.
- Idea #3: Distribute the survey to 8th graders with their forecasting materials and ask that they indicate their Career Cluster on their Course Forecasting Sheet. Provide a resource with ideas on which freshman courses align with each career cluster. Assist them in selecting courses that align with their Career Cluster of interest
Alignment with Illinois PaCE: Postsecondary and Career Expectations
This process is a beginning step to helping your students think long term and eventually prepare to build an individualized learning plan (4-year plan).
By the end of 8th grade
By the end of 8th grade
- Students should be supported to:
- Complete a career cluster survey
- Attend a career exploration day
- Complete a unit on education planning
- Be exposed to a finance literacy unit in a course or workshop
- A student should know:
- The concept of Career Clusters for further exploration
- Possible career clusters of interest
- Relationship between community service/extracurricular activities and post-secondary (PS) career goals